Have you recently been looking for inspiration to decorate your new home, but you have no idea which styles are the most fashionable and best suited to your tastes?
No need to worry, because throughout this article we will give you a detailed list of the most fashionable interior styles in traditional homes. Whatever your style, with the help of this simple guide you can find it and start decorating the house of your dreams.
You want to know all the secrets of traditional interior decoration and all its styles? Take note!
Perhaps the name of this style does not seem too sophisticated or you find it wrong for the decoration of a simple home, but the truth is that industrial interior decoration has existed for decades and has been a real trend for a few years.
The industrial style originated in the 1950s in New York City, when immigrants or newly arrived artists could not afford the city’s apartments; they lived in abandoned factories or disused industrial warehouses, giving name to this peculiar decorative style.
Main Features of Industrial Style Interior Design
- Highlights are the areas of brick seen without painting or fixing, concrete walls and many steel elements, such as handrails ,windows, ceiling fans or lamps.
- The colours are muted, since the grey and reddish tones of the cement and the brick do not carry out any type of restoration
- Liberal use of exposed steel and untreated wood
- Elements of the house as essential as pipes or ducts are usually left in view, giving a rougher and colder air to the space
- With the predominance of large windows, this decoration creates spaces full of light with a great feeling of spaciousness
- Very high ceilings and austere decoration with a great variety of metal furniture and dark natural wood
Scandinavian Style or Hygge
This style, brought from Scandinavia in the 20th century, has managed to evolve and become a niche in the interior design world of today, creating spaces full of minimalism as well as functionality.
This style is what most people currently associate with IKEA furniture and catalogs, but the truth is that this style has much more nuances and characteristics to contribute in terms of interior decoration of the homes of simple families around the world.
The Hygge style is defined as a decorative movement through which one seeks to improve the well-being of people, starting from the creation of an environment in which to live very simply that transmits them peace and tranquility.
Main features of Scandinavian Interior Design
- Light colours and wide spaces with lots of light prevailing throughout the space
- Simple and functional furniture made from organic and industrial materials, preferably with light shades, such as browns, whites and grey
- Minimalist but functional spaces that provide a sense of comfort and tranquility
- All spaces are intended to have a prevalence of soft and rounded shapes, avoiding furniture or recharged decorative elements, with many edges or too many accessories
- Rustic setting with natural decorative elements
Chic Farmhouse Style
The chic farmhouse style is a modern adaptation of the traditional and rustic style of American and English farms.
This new farmer style blends very traditional decorative elements with more “chic” modern elements, so that we can create very homey spaces full of nostalgia, without giving up a pinch of 21st century modernity.
Main features of Chic Farmhouse Interior Design
- The furniture of the farmhouse style is characterised by being of aged wood or upholstered with very traditional prints.
- Linen and cotton are the most commonly used materials for fabrics used for curtains or tablecloths.
- The colours that predominate in this style are white, beige, straw-yellow, turquoise and mauve.
- Rustic decoration, little recharged and with a great abundance of flowers and handmade ceramic products.
- A very characteristic aspect of this style is the use of chicken coop mesh for the preparation of cabinets or for cupboard doors
Bohemian or Gipsy
Bohemian style is also known as the decoration of hippies. Boho Chic is a decorative style that seeks to capture the essence of nature by creating spaces typical of avant-garde life.
This design is typical of people who love to surround themselves with elements of nature and enjoy the simplest things in life.
Main features of Bohemian Interior Design
- Clear predominance of skins (preferably synthetic) and natural wood for decoration like furniture
- It is a freestyle in which nothing is established, so the distribution of things is very loose and casual
- The colours are very vivid and varied, Ethnic designs like mandalas abound in tapestries and carpets
- Warm and welcoming atmosphere
Classic Modern or Classic Renovated
This style as its name suggests, is an attempt to renew and give fresh air to the oldest format of all styles: the classic.
Nowadays, few people dare to decorate their home following the guidelines of the purest classical decoration, with an excessive presence of noble woods and long lace curtains everywhere. This new classic style modernises this highly charged design and introduces contemporary elements that make it much lighter and suitable for any type of family and home.
It seeks to create very elegant contrasts between the white walls and the wooden furniture, being also able to choose to introduce light furniture and create spaces full of light, with a uniform clarity.
It mixes more classic furniture with more modern furniture, such as a sofa with a glass and steel top.
It maintains classic elements such as the mouldings of the walls and doors, together with the high-height skirting.
The furniture isn’t so reserved to give rise to simpler combinations with elegant prints, and soft colours.
This style is characterised by keeping alive the essence of the most classical decoration, while seeking to balance its sobriety with modern and light-filled elements that make home spaces more comfortable, bringing a greater sense of warmth to those who live in them.
At the Maverick Group we want to offer the best advice to our clients so that they find the house they always wanted and transform it into the home of their dreams. The decoration of a house is the first step so that an empty space can become a home, and therefore requires a time of analysis and study that allows us to find the style with which we identify most.
We hope you found this little guide about interior design tips for traditional homes very useful and helpful. Good luck designing your home!